Monday, June 28, 2010

Addiction... Money!!!!

People go so crazy after money that nothing else matters in their life. I have seen some of the most selfish and money hungry people abroad. All they care about is money and more money. Relationships hardly matter. If someone is being nice to you, it definitely means that they want some help from you. So you better be cautioned. If people think that you might not be of any use, they just stop picking your calls and become “busy” all of a sudden.

I have seen a lot of people transition in a similar pattern. When they land abroad for the first time, they look vulnerable and modest. They try to get friendly with anyone and everyone, trying to extract as much information from them as possible.

Once they are reasonable settled and start earning good money, they can’t handle it. They develop so much of ego that you start wondering if this was the same person you knew. Further down the line as they establish themselves, they are in an adrenaline rush and feel that they are better than others in everything.

The next thing they come up with is cursing India or defaming India in front of every sundry. They just love to talk about Indian population, pollution, corruption in front of people from other countries.

Recently, I was in the west on a family visit. At one of the group party, “Cockroaches” and “lizards” in India were discussed as some wild animals which eat human flesh. Once there was a discussion going on about cockroaches and I blurted out “My friend got bitten by a scorpion once here in US. What would you say about that?” And everyone fell silent after that. Isn’t scorpion worse than a cockroach? They behave as if they were “lucky” to have left the populated country and ended up in the land of opportunities.

No matter how much they try or their children try, they end up becoming a confused bunch of humans. They are neither Indians nor westerners. Wannabes are very common and every time I meet one, I feel sad for them. One thing I did not know before going abroad was that people go there just to make money. The only thing that matters there is money.

Unless you buy a costly car, people don’t give you respect. Unless you show your costly laptop, people won’t treat you well. Unless you buy a 42″ HDTV, people treat you like a beggar. If a person owns a BMW, he will treat all the Toyota owners like big losers. Status matters a lot and you need to showoff a lot.

Unless you have a high paying job and booze all the time, you are treated like a useless person. I loathed many people I met there. Because what matters in life is not money, relationships matter the most to me. I don’t make friendship with a person, because I think he/she might be of some help to me in the future. I don’t just break friendship with a person because I think he/she might not be of use to me anymore.

Every person you speak to, says “Everyone is selfish here” but they behave cheaply themselves. One of my friend had caught fever and definitely nobody cared for him, since he won’t be of any help when he is down with fever. In India, people come to your aid or atleast take you to a doctor.

Abroad, people don’t call or visit you because they are scared you will ask them for a favor. Everyone is self-centered. I like independence but not that kind of independence. I want money but not at the cost of relationships. I cannot endure a fake relationship where the other person is just using you for something. I cannot break friendship with a friend, for no valid reason and behave as if nothing happened. I would rather not stay in such a place surrounded with manipulative people.

This post came as a result of a talk I had with a friend years ago who loves the west and would rather not prefer coming back to India. There was a time when he said the western world was better than India in every way. I never bothered to argue. Today I pity him as he will never be treated like a localite. He will always be treated like an “alien”.

I am not against going abroad and having a successful life. Its the addiction and the hate that comes with success. Especially the addiction of acquiring money and showing off. Hope the next generation Indians born abroad are more balanced and proud to have a Indian bloodline.

Frankly speaking I have seen a ray of hope in this direction and that spells good.

I loved this quote made by George Lorimer. ...>..
“It’s good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it’s good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven’t lost the things that money
can’t buy.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment